It has been suggested that perhaps 75 percent of most cancers are caused by environmental and lifestyle factors, including exposure to chemicals; also that 95 percent of cancer is caused by diet and environmental toxicity.
Its not easy to avoid the chemical soup we have created but what you can do, however, is limit your exposure! AND
Exercise Exercise Exercise Exercise, with lots of clean water and keep your Lymph System moving.
- Use household cleaning product: steam and microfibre are a perfect combination for deep cleaning and killing bugs with NO chemicals. Great products at www.h2o.fr
Chlorine: This highly toxic, and very common.
May cause Sore throat, coughing, eye and skin irritation, respiratory problems, severe eye and skin burns,
Where/what: Household cleaners, swimming pools.
- Air Fresheners, plug-ins and detergents all have high chemical content, plug-ins can also be a fire hazard, open your windows and get the washing out in the sunlight whenever possible.
- More cosmetics and cleansers are available – parabens and sodium laurel sulphate free. Look for them and check out www.cosmeticsdatabase.com
Volatile Organic Compounds VOCs are a major contributing factor to ozone, an air pollutant.
May cause Cancer, eye and respiratory tract irritation, headaches, dizziness, visual disorders, and memory impairment
Where/what: Drinking water, carpet, paints, deodorants, cleaning fluids, varnishes, cosmetics, dry cleaned clothing, insect repellents, air fresheners.
- Avoid cigarette smoke.
- Amalgum / mercury fillings, really a no-brainer, why have such a known toxic metal in your mouth? See: www.safedentistry.co.uk
Heavy Metals: Metals like arsenic, mercury, lead, aluminum and cadmium, are stored in fat and at a cellular level.
May cause Cancer, neurological disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, foggy head, fatigue, nausea and vomiting, decreased production of red and white blood cells, abnormal heart rhythm, damage to blood vessels.
Where/what: Cigarettes, drinking water, fish, vaccines, pesticides, preserved wood, antiperspirant, building materials, dental amalgams.
- Switch off your TV and other electrical appliances, particularly WiFi at night, don’t used Dect cordless phones and use headphones with your mobiles rather than holding it against your head. Minimise daylight long haul flights Miso soup helps reduce effects.
May Cause Cancer, blood disorders, thyroid problems.
- Eat Organic whenever possible, this can be expensive so if it is unaffordable make sure you wash your fruit and vegetables well and at very least buy Organic dairy products. Avoid Aspartame and MSG.
Pesticides: residues have been detected in 50 percent to 95 percent of foods.
May cause Cancer, Parkinson’s disease, miscarriage, nerve damage, birth defects.
Where/what: Food (fruits, vegetables and commercially raised meats), pesticide sprays.
- Source the fish you eat, Sword fish and some Tuna can have high levels of Mercury. Check www.foodandwaterwatch.org
PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls):
Can cause Cancer, impaired fetal brain development.
Where/what: Farm-raised salmon.
- Chemicals are used to process foods, from formaldehyde and tetracycline to remove caffeine, avoid whenever possible.
- Don’t store or microwave food in plastic film or plastic containers, avoid leaving plastic bottles of water in sunlight.
Phthalates: Used in plastic film, bottles and storage containers.
May cause Endocrine system damage increased levels of unopposed estrogen.
Where/what: Plastic wrap, plastic bottles, plastic food storage containers. All of these can leach phthalates into our food.
- Use essential oils for insect repellant, citronella, lavender. Also using plant pots of basil help keep them away. See: www.aromantic.co.uk
See my list of ways to reduce toxicity.